Monday, November 28, 2011

Chapter 4-5

In Chapter 4 I found it interesting to read about how writing can change based on cultural expectations.  In countries like the US and Germany we want our writings or instructions to be extremely detailed in order to comprehend and follow correctly. While in other cultures like Asian and Arabic they are much less detailed and it can even be considered insulting if you have too much detail in a communication because you could be implying that they are not intelligent enough to figure something out for themselves.  We can often forget some of these basic cultural differences but they can be deal breakers in the business world.  In certain cultures showing respect and understanding the local customs can make or break a deal.
In Chapter 5 I was able to relate to Guideline 3 where they talk about addressing and learning from your readers concerns and counterarguments.  In my line of work as a sales rep I have to deal with clients concerns and counterarguments everyday.  I am consistently trying to find out what a client may have as a concern and looking for a way that we can resolve that issue.  Also I receive counterarguments with different proposals that I present to a client and I must listen to those arguments and figure out what we can do to reach an agreement on different topics.

No comments:

Post a Comment